Wednesday, May 12, 2010

Last Few Weekends

Here are some pictures of the work I have done on Vixen for the last few weeks. There is progress, regardless of how slow it may seem to me and possibly others.
Luckily I have two VX800 radiators. One radiator was full of tar and sand from its midpoint down. Using heat and tar remover, it could be cleaned but there was some concern about the sand grating against the Aluminum and causing tiny leaks. So, I chose the one that had bent fins and was missing a bit of paint. The fins were tedious to straighten but was certainly not difficult.

Here are the results of the radiator work. Everything was scrubbed down, the radiator checked for leaks and the two temperature sensors tested. I did think about painting it a flat black but decided it was not necessary. If it is needed later on, the radiator is quite easy to remove.

And, I finished rebuilding the foot pegs and mounts. The shields and pegs were cleaned, primed and painted with engine enamel. Both pegs received fresh pins, washers and a little Lithium grease.

And so, this weekend? Who knows.


  1. Hi Sir...I have been following your project. This week I got a few motorhead friends to start restoring a 1990 VX800 that was mine 1992-1995. Boought it back from Chris who did not ride for the past 6 years, leaving it to stand and rust away outside his seaside home. He was just too busy riding his V-Max. Your Vixen looks like she doing very nicely..great job! Looking forward to the day I can ride mine again...Happy restoring mate! Cheers! Simon Sandi, Kuching, Borneo Island... (will post some pics later)

  2. Hello Simon from Borneo! I am pleased people from around the globe are checking out my VX blog!

    Thank you for the comments. I hope you and your buddies have a successful and good time restoring your VX. Parts should be easier for you to find as the bike was only sold from 1991 through 1993 in the US. The rest of the world seems to have realized how good a bike this is, and were sold up to 1997.